A recent article in the Wall Street Journal (January 24, 2021; How to Know When to Quit Your Job) addresses that exciting yet fear-producing time in the life-span we call retirement. Read the article. The piece ends with insightful questions to ask yourself:
- How long is it optimal to be in my role? Is it time for a fresh perspective?
- Do I want more control of my life?
- Can I afford a change?
- Who am I without a business card? Figure out that question ahead of time!
- For Type A personalities, how will I meet my need to achieve?
- What would I rather do?
- How will I reinvent my social network (social support system)?
The article doesn’t address the associated heightened anxiety that accompanies this all-important life change. If you are considering retirement, consider therapy as a means to soften the change!